Texts: 2 Timothy 2:15, Joshua 1:8, Psalms 1 & 119
It is important we learn different methods in studying the Word of God. I've found over the years that many believers struggle in their reading and studying of the Bible. Satan is afraid of believers studying the Bible and making it priority in their lives. If believers would study and meditate the Word of God, they would discover who God is and who they are in Christ. This is what makes a person a threat to Satan. God uses our studying and meditating to engraft His Word into our hearts. Colossians 3:16 says "Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Many people are poverty stricken in their word level. I challenge you today to make a decision to study the Word of God like never before and become rich in your Word level.
I. You must read it.
1. Reading the Word is extremely important
2. Daily reading
3. Read it, read it, read it
II. Find a spot to stay a while, then read it several times
1. Select a book or a passage and read it several times
2. Get it in your heart and mind.
III. Look for key words/phrases that stand out
1. Write them down
2. Look them up in the original languages.*
IV. Try to answer the following questions
1. Who wrote the book?
2. Who is the writer's audience?
3. Why did he write the book?
4. What was he saying in the book?
5. What is the timeless principle that applies to all generations?
V. Apply the timeless principle to your own life.
VI. Read some commentaries ONLY after you have read it several times
This is only one of the many ways to study God's Word.
As believers we should give ourselves over to the Word of God, some of us only read the scriptures but we should come to a place in our walk with Christ where we are studying the scriptures. It is in studying the Word that we discover who God is and we learn of His ways. I challenge you to study the Word and trust the Holy Spirit to teach you about Jesus.
Ephesians 1:15-23 is a prayer that will help us as we study the Word, so pray it for yourself and watch the Holy Spirit take you into His classroom.
1. How to Master the English Bible by James Gray
2. How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon D. Fee
3. How to Read the Bible Book by Book by Gordon D. Fee & Douglas Stuart
4. How to Read the Bible through the Jesus Lens by Michael Williams
5. Grasping God's Word by J. Scott Duvall & J. Daniel Hays
* If you have a Bible software program or concordance, you can look up the the words in the original languages.